Author Sherri Mills

Monday, June 29, 2009

Long Marriages

Want a long marriage? A couple said the secrets to their successful 70 year marriage include remembering a few bits of wisdom:

Everyone has faults: "We decided to put up with each other's faults, rather than find new ones."

Stick it out for the kids: "Divorce is so hard on children, so we never wanted to see ours go through it."

Jobs at home: "We decided to divide up the household chores, from paying bills to maintaining the yard, and we do our jobs in our own way."

We meant it when we said "I do.": She said when she recited her vows--"to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer and poorer, in sickness and in health, til death do us part"--she meant it.

Let the "disagreements" go: Don't hold on to grudges; life is too short.

I cut this piece of genius out of the newspaper and have had it in my wallet for many years. Based on my experience, I believe every word of it.

I would also add, "You can't always be right and have a happy marriage at the same time."

No comments:

Post a Comment