Author Sherri Mills

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Birthday Party- when you are divorced

Yesterday I went to a birthday party for an 8 year-old little boy. His parents are divorced and his real dad wasn't there. Buddy, the birthday boy, was forlorn the whole time, on a day that was supposed to be so special.

One of Buddy's two step-sisters was at the party. The other step-sister wasn't even invited due to family resentments.

These poor little kids are the by-products of divorce. In their sadness, they figure out some way to cope. Some of their methods of coping are good, some are bad.

When I said in my earlier blog that aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas, and even cousins suffer after divorce, this birthday was proof. I see it all the time. No family member escapes the ravages of divorce.

Buddy was missing his dad and sister all day, and was sad even when opening his multitude of presents.

I left with tears in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment